Thursday, May 1, 2008

need to read

It's been a while since I had a good book to read. I'm not looking for an information type book, just some fiction or something entertaining. I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to my son. He was excited to reach the end. Today or tomorrow we will begin reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. He has been enjoying them, as have I of course.

So I'm sitting here, drinking my orange juice and Floradix, wishing I had something interesting to blog about. This is why my previous blogging attempts failed. I quickly run out of things to say, and have a difficult time finding anything worth passing on!! well, I guess, I just passed on Floradix.

Honestly, if you're anemic, or even feeling run down and tired constantly, this stuff is great. When I was 36 weeks pregnant with my daughter, my hematocrit was about 9.7/9.8 . Having begun the pregnancy with a hematocrit of 12.5, this was close to risking me out of having a homebirth!! And I'd worked hard to have a healthy pregnancy (first time around I had pre-eclampsia) and I wasn't going to let my iron level force me in to a hospital birth, that I didn't want. My midwife had recommended Floradix iron and herbs, but had mentioned that it was kind of expensive. I was taking alfalfa supplements, and it had seemed to get me past the 'mid-pregnancy iron drop' from when my blood volumed doubled. It's NORMAL for the iron to drop around the 20 week mark. But it should come back up, with the proper diet. However, my diet was/is lacking in iron. I do have some sources, but not enough. I digress. I tried two of those regular iron pills that the OB's office suggested (I was seeing both my midwife for a homebirth, and an OB's office, at the request of my husband, should I develop pre-e again, we both felt comfortable with that choice) and both iron pills made me want to vomit. Actually, I don't think I even took the 2nd one. I remember getting it out, but don't remember taking it. They made me feel horrible in my first pregnancy as well.

So, I went out the next day, and got Floradix Iron and Herbs. I began taking it immediatly, the herbalist at the store I bought it from said I could mix it with apple or orange juice if I didn't like the taste. It is derived form food sources, so it isn't a nasty metal taste, but it's lots of veggies. So it doesn't taste bad, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Took it for 2 days (twice a day) with out a drink, just drank some water after it. then started mixing it in my OJ.

With in 10 days, my iron level was back to 11.7, and my 38 week appointment with the OB's office my iron was back to 12.1 ! YAY!! I called my midwife on the way home and she was also thrilled for me. the homebirth was on!! My beautiful daughter was born a day shy of her due date, at home, of course ;)

Alright, well I guess I'll get back to my crocheting. I started a new soaker/shorties/longies last night. I'm actually making one from real wool this time, to fit on a real baby.....wish me luck! I'm sending it to a friend to get an honest opinion. ACK.

No comments: