Yes, my darling son Jack. He who has shown marked improvement in behavior over the last year. He is in first grade now, and still loving school. He is reading at an "end of 1st grade" reading level, or beginning of 2nd grade. I knew he was a great reader, but was honestly surprised at how he measured up. I did not realize he was 'advanced'. His testing scores for literacy (DIBELS) were all above the requirements for low risk (so they were pretty high), and he has been asked to participate in something called Horizon. It's kind of the prelude to the gifted class. We used to call it Target in elementary school, TAG in middle, and of course there were AP classes (Advanced Placement) in high school.
Horizon usually does testing twice a year, November and February. However the system wants the testing to happen earlier this year, so September and February. The down side of testing, if the child does not pass, then they can not be retested until the third grade. So the Horizon (Gateway after testing) teacher is NOT testing the 1st graders until February. I have no problem with this at all :) He will reap the benefits of more difficult work, and learning in Horizon.
After testing, assuming he passes, he will be in Gateway after the Winter break.
Yesterday, Jack attended his first Cub Scouts meeting! It was pretty boring to him, we didn't really do anything, it was kind of an introduction to scouts. 2 weeks ago was the registration drive, so I imagine this was the first pack meeting since, it was also the kick off to their popcorn sales, so it was pretty disorganized, and lots of talk about upcoming events, and a few questions from parents. I am hopeful that when we go next Monday he will think it's more fun. There is camping coming up in October already, and husband and I are discussing the trip to the Huntsville Space center, but it's an all day trip, and it's $18 a person (after the cub scout discount) so it's still pretty expensive. We probably won't go, and I don't know any of the parents well enough to feel comfortable letting Jack go, under another parents supervision.
Hopefully it won't take us too long to find our scout group after we move.
OH! And, he lost another tooth yesterday, AND as of this morning is tying his own shoes :D :D :D
No comments:
Post a Comment