Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why I love where I live

These last few days have been absolutely beautiful. I wish I had taken my camera with me on my runs, and drives. I wish I could capture everything in pictures.

This morning I drove my son to school, and it was still kind of dark, it was a little cloudy, but the moon was still full and bright. Yesterday it was very clear, and the moon was huge and extremely lustrous. I was itching to run yesterday morning, which is a first.

It all brought me to remembering why I love it here so much. Which to me signifies a change coming.

Six years ago when we were starting out on our search for a home, we were hoping to live a little closer to the families. Our families are 10 minutes apart, so we looked in between them. Everything in that area was well over our base price, and we were quickly losing hope. So we decided to branch out and explore other areas. We thought we wanted to be closer to shopping and the 'main roads' so we stuck close to places like Kennesaw, Woodstock, and Cartersville. We found a few places worth checking out, but they weren't in the best shape, and others were poorly layed out. Some had wonderful homes, but the land was too small, or would have been difficult to maintain. A few were ON main roads.

I branched out my search a little more and found two very promising houses. They were priced right, and a bit off the beaten path. They're still in neighborhoods, but they were small neighborhoods.

The first house was a 8 year old ranch home on a flat lot. With it's 2 car garage and screened in back porch, with a lot of cabinet space and a good size pantry I was in love. All of the walls were white, so I had a fresh palate on which to express myself. The carpet was mostly new, one snag in the living room, but it was exactly where we would have placed our sofa. It even had a slate fireplace.

The second house was a 13 yr old ranch home. It did not have a screened in porch or a garage. The lot was not flat. Instead it had a single car carport, and a small open deck. What it had was a lot of trees, a storage shed, extra parking, and amazingly beautiful hardwood floors in the living areas and hallway.

We looked at both homes a few times. I even took my grandmother to see the first on the inside, and the second from the outside (as a family was still living in the 2nd). She agreed that both were lovely homes, which we would surely love for years. After some time and discussion we chose to put an offer in on the 2nd home. We were countered, and accepted. We moved into our home in April of 2003, and were totally in love. I painted our sons room bright blue, it had been a soft pink. We made the third bedroom an office with our computer and a small tv, and a sofa. Our living room held another sofa and the main television, coffee and side tables very nicely. We seemed to have the perfect amount of furniture to furnish our home comfortably.

We spent time outside splashing in the little baby pool with our son during the day. After dinner and a bath, we'd put our son to bed, and then spend hours sitting out on OUR back porch. Enjoying looking out on OUR land. We would watch the bats swooping around, our cat walking through the grass. Listening to the crickets and cicadias. When the lightening bugs came out we allowed our son to stay up late to watch them. And it was always quiet. Occasionally we could hear a big truck drive down the main road, but more often than not we were able to speak to each other in quiet voices.

The first few rains were amazing. The sound of the rain falling on the roof. On our roof. Of our home. There has never been a more beautiful rain. Standing in the carport and watching the rain fall on the yard, and flow down the driveway.

We watched the corn and cotton feilds grow over the summer. When the cotton bloomed I was in love. It's such a beautiful sight. After a few years I finally went out and took pictures. I will have to do it again this year and see if I can manage some worth printing and framing.

Standing outside late last night, it was almost overwhelming. I commented to my husband that we need to find a place similar to this when we move. It's going to be hard to move, and I don't know that we'll ever come close to something like this. I hope we can. Quiet, calm, peaceful neighborhood (ya know 95% of the time ;) we do have neighbors ). We can hear the cows in the nearby pasture. We can hear the crow of the rooster down the street. In the fall through early spring we can clearly hear the train whistle, and sometimes we can hear it chugging along. In the summer we see the rain clouds come in and feel the breeze. Watching it blow through the trees. The physcial feeling of peace and love when I drive down the road and see my home.

I'm going to miss it when we leave. I will not only leave behind our first family home, but i will also leave behind the birth place of my daughter. While her birth was fast and furious it was peaceful and calm in a way. Born here in the home where she was concieved, and has lived for the first 3 years of her life. Where my son has learned to ride a bike. Where my husband and I had to learn the fine art of communication. Where we loved and lost a pregnancy. Where our family grew in numbers, and in love. Where we've learned about ourselves, and what we want to accomplish with our lives, both together, and individually.

I love where I live.

No comments: