I was inspired this morning to write todays blog by Navalgazing Midwife. The post that came up in my Google Reader this morning was about her 1982 birth to her son.
I guess I can begin my story with my birth. At least what I've been told of it. According to mom, her due date was September 23rd. Which, after 9 month of puking every day, finally came. And went. On October 1st, the OB finally tried an induction. This didn't take. October 2nd, tried again. Still didn't take. I don't know when she was sent home, but I do know that home to hospital was about a 30 minute drive. The hospital on Hilton Head did not have an maternity ward. So I was born at Beaufort Memorial Hospital. Mom tells me that even though the induction didn't take she was still contracting on the way home the 2nd day. Which tells me that, she was laboring, but she wasn't dilating. Once home, she couldn't get comfortable. I was finally born on 10-3, weighing 7 lbs 12 oz and 21 inches long. And according to hospital records I was born at 43 weeks. And I gotta say, for being postdates, I was pretty light weight, and didn't look all that "old" in my photos.
My own son was born in September of 2001. I was a 38 weeks and 5 days, my labor was also induced. I had pre-eclampsia, so I was hooked up to the monitors, an IV and stuck in bed. After about 7 hours an epidural was placed, and he was born 2 hours after that. I was flat on my back, with a needle in my arm, in my back, a mask on my face, and my perineum had been cut with out my consent (episiotomy). His birth was assisted by a vacuum extractor and he was born with a nuchal hand. ("Reachin for the keys already dad!" said the OB) He was 6 lbs 15 oz and 21 inches. Absolutely adorable! Very little, very fine blond hair, and crystal blue eyes.
4 years later, in September of 2005 my daughter was born. This was QUITE a different story. Planned homebirth with a midwife. But it didn't go as planned. I was the picture of maternal health, and was content being pregnant until she decided to arrive. Around 2 am I woke up, and used the bathroom, but wasn't comfortable, wasn't contracting either. Got up, used the bathroom again, and then hung out in the living room. At 3:05 I had my first contraction. It was like instant transition. Painful, intense, and about a minute long. At 3:15 I had my 6th contraction, and my water broke. If you're counting they were 2 minutes apart from the beginning. My water was meconium stained. I made 2 phone calls, and woke my husband. At 3:30 my daughter was born into her fathers hands. She weighed in at 8 lbs 8 oz, and 22 inches. Soft brown hair, and more of it than her brother had. And sweet brown eyes.
I'll have to see what pictures I have in a bit, I need to get a couple things done before I wait around on pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment